- When DIY sealcoating your driveway or parking, it’s important to use quality materials, as they will last longer and better withstand wear and tear.
- Be sure to apply a thick layer of sealer along the edges of your driveway to prevent water and debris from getting underneath and causing damage.
- Don’t forget to repair any cracks or holes in your driveway before sealcoating. This is necessary to achieve optimal results.
- Sealcoat your driveway on a day when the weather is sunny and dry, as wet or humid conditions can interfere with the sealer’s ability to bond properly with the surface.
- Give your sealer ample time to dry before walking or driving on it. Depending on the temperature and humidity, this can take anywhere from several hours to a day.
- For the best results and your peace of mind, it is always best to leave sealcoating to the professionals!
When it comes to your home, you want to ensure that everything is in tip-top shape. That’s why many homeowners choose to do their own seal coating projects. However, there are a few things you should avoid doing if you want the project to go smoothly.
This blog post will discuss the four things you should avoid when doing a DIY seal coating project on your home. Keep reading to learn more!
Things to Avoid on A DIY Seal Coating Project
1. Applying the Sealer in Direct Sunlight
One of the biggest mistakes you can make when sealcoating your driveway is applying the sealer in direct sunlight. The heat from the sun will cause the sealer to dry too quickly, resulting in an uneven application. It can also cause the sealer to crack or peel once dry. If you must apply the sealer in sunlight, be sure to do so in the early morning or evening when the sun is not as strong.
2. Not Applying the Sealant Evenly
Applying sealant evenly is important for several reasons. First, it helps to create a barrier that is effective in repelling water. Second, it helps to prevent the formation of mildew and mold. Third, it helps to extend the life of the surface. Finally, it delivers a more attractive appearance. There are several ways to ensure even coverage when applying sealant. One method is to use a roller. Another method is to use a brush. Either way, it is important to take the time to apply the sealant evenly. Otherwise, the surface will be less protected and more likely to suffer from water damage, mold, and mildew.
3. Not Cleaning the Driveway First
Another mistake that people make when sealcoating their driveway is not cleaning it first. It’s important to remove all dirt, debris, and oil stains before applying the sealer, as these things can prevent the sealer from adhering properly. You should also fill any cracks/holes in the asphalt with a crack filler before sealcoating.
4. Applying Too Much Sealer
Applying too much sealer is another common mistake people make when sealcoating their driveway. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how much sealer to apply. Applying too much can result in uneven application and product waste.
5. Not Letting the Sealer Dry Completely
Another mistake people make when sealcoating their driveway is not letting the sealer dry completely before walking or driving on it. The sealer needs time to cure properly, so be sure to wait at least 24 hours before using your driveway again.
6. Using an Old Brush
If you are going to be brush-applying the sealer, be sure to use a new brush that hasn’t been used for anything else. An old brush may have frayed or split bristles, which can cause streaks or clumps in your finished product.
7. Applying Sealer in Inclement Weather
Applying sealer in wet or cold weather is a recipe for disaster. Not only will the sealer not adhere properly to the surface, but it will also be more likely to track. So, be sure to wait for a sunny day with no chance of rain before you start your sealcoating project.
8. Do Not Skimp on Quality Materials – This Will Save You Time and Money in The Long Run
Any experienced DIY-er knows that skimping on quality materials is a false economy. Cheap glues, paints, and varnishes may seem like a good way to save a few dollars in the short term, but they will inevitably lead to frustration further down the line. Poorly-manufactured products are more likely to fail, requiring time-consuming repairs or full replacement. In contrast, products from reputable brands may cost a little more upfront, but they will last longer and stand up to wear and tear better. In the long run, investing in quality materials will save you both time and money. So next time you’re starting a new project, be sure to choose your materials wisely.
9. Skipping the Edge Work
When you are sealing your driveway, don’t forget about the edges! It’s important to apply a thick layer of sealer along the edges of your driveway to prevent water and debris from getting underneath and causing damage.
Tips for a Successful Seal Coating Project
If you’re looking to seal coat your driveway, there are a few things you’ll need to do to ensure a successful outcome.
- First, it’s important that you thoroughly clean the surface of your driveway. Any dirt, dust, or debris will create an uneven finish, so be sure to sweep or power wash the area before you begin.
- Next, you’ll need to repair cracks or holes in the asphalt. Choosing a high-quality filler will help to extend the life of your seal coat job.
- Finally, be sure to select a seal coating product that is specifically designed for driveways. Applying too much sealer can lead to cracking while using an inferior product will result in a short-lived finish.
These steps will ensure that your sealcoating project turns out to be a success.
Sealcoating your driveway can save you money, but avoiding these common mistakes is important. By taking your time and following the manufacturer’s instructions, you can ensure a professional-looking result that will protect your driveway for years.
While DIY projects can be fun and satisfying, sometimes it’s best to leave things to the experts.
American Paving can professionally seal your pavement, giving you peace of mind and years of protection against the weather and extending the life of your surface.
We use only the best products and equipment to get the job done right. You won’t find a better sealcoating service in Matthews – or anywhere else.
So, what are you waiting for? Get a free estimate now!